[nagdu] Gratitude and low expectations WAS Re: The NFB got vote correct on ownership.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jul 11 17:49:47 UTC 2015

Buddy,

I have encountered that attitude towards our agency here, and I really
don't get it. The taxpayers are in the same role as the donors to the
guide dog schools, only more saint-like and long-suffering of how their
generosity is abused by pathetic, whining, grasping blind people (you
know how they are, sad sigh). The staff are wonderful people who
sacrifice themselves for The Blind. This is accepted and not to be
challenged by realities, such as the following:

1. It's a state agency, not a charity. It is established by law for a
specific purpose, mainly providing vocational rehabilitation to blind
people so the blind people can be more productive members of the culture
and the tax base. It's not there to "help the blind."

2. The employees are paid by the state, which means they receive
over-market compensation and benefits. In other words, they would not be
paid as well in the private sector even in similar jobs. Based on what
I've encountered in terms of work ethic, basic communication skills and
general competency, the majority of them would not have comparable jobs
in the private sector.

3. Blind people are taxpayers and therefore pay for the services the
agency is supposed to provide, as well as the salaries and benefits (and
non-allowed benefits to staffers the auditors keep turning up). The
families and friends of the blind consumers also pay taxes. The point of
VR is to enable the blind consumers to pay more taxes, directly and
indirectly. This is especially true in an income tax state like Oregon.
If I earn more, I pay more. The majority of the agency funding is
federal, so I have been paying for the thing no matter where I lived my
entire career. Even now, I pay hidden taxes and so continue to help fund
the agency.

Therefore, blind people needn't be grateful. They need to expect that
services will be provided according to law in a reasonable competent
manner, since they are paying the people who are supposed to provide
those services. That's my opinion, anyway, but I'm an especially
obnoxious blind person with unreasonable expectations. /lol/

Oh, I almost forgot. The reason I have such unreasonable expectations --
say, that state employees earning $60k a year or more plus state
benefits should be able to read, write and use e-mail with spell check
-- is because I am in denial about being blind. Either that, or I want
to be blind. It went back and forth when my case was still fresh enough
I bothered to try to do something about it all. Mostly, though, I'm in
denial about being blind. If I weren't, I would realize that I need to
be grateful and also nice, which adds up to being grateful.

So perhaps that attitude of gratitude being ingrained along with the
training and whatnot most blind people get through the agencies carries
over to attitudes toward guide dog programs and other resources? After
all, the programs are funded by honest-to-goodness charity and are
considered charities themselves. And all of it to give blind people this
wonderful thing they couldn't provide themselves because they live in
darkness and isolation and ... Whatever. Never mind how the blind people
are treated.

Never mind that in many cases, the "gift" is not. It is a loan. The
donors give gifts, granting ownership of all that wonderful money to the
programs for salaries and overhead and additional fundraising efforts
and, oh, yeah, training dogs to loan to blind people who are expected to
regard the dog as a gift. It seems that in many cases, the gratitude for
the gift is to be directed to the people who are paid by the gift
givers. Or should we call them the loan-backers? /lol/

I don't entirely understand the dynamic, and I mostly don't understand
why it is so widely accepted. I think it is quite wonderful that enough
people will donate enough money that so many programs can exist to train
guide dogs for blind people they don't even know. I think it's great
that the majority of the programs do such a good job of it so
consistently. I've also seen the power dynamic abused enough to be
horrified and to be more horrified that the person is truly expected to
accept the abuse and even be grateful for that, as well. Um... If/when I
ever do get a guide through a program, I will definitely be grateful for
all the cost and effort that has gone into providing it. I'll probably
get myself in a lot of trouble if I run into staffers who think my
gratitude should include accepting being treated like a stupid child.
Maybe I'll be lucky? /shrug/

Tami