[nagdu] picking breed, gender, and influences from others

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jul 11 18:44:44 UTC 2015

Gerardo,

I think you're right about the delicate balance between working dog and
companion. Some people will insist that treating the guide as anything
other than a working dog will ruin it hopelessly. Others will look up
from cuddling their dog and roll their eyes, being too busy playing
kissy-face to say anything at all. When the harness goes on, though,
it's still all professional. I think that being able to maintain the
balance between work and play has a lot to do with how well the handler
is able to communicate which is which and how the boundaries lie. The
dog's past experience and overall temperament will also affect how much
the boundaries can be blurred, as well.

You mentioned wanting a poodle guide, and I'm sorry I've been late
getting back on that. Usually, I can carry on about my poodles without
hesitation or restraint, so I guess we really have been that busy. /lol/

My first guide, now retired, is a small female standard poodle. I'm
training her replacement, a larger male standard from related lines. I
adore them and think they make terrific guides, except... The best I can
sum up is to say that their temperaments are as high-maintenance as
their curls. Then there's the energy, which requires some management.
They also tend to be quite vocal and prone to separation anxiety.

There's usually a long waiting list for poodles from any of the programs
that provide them. Some of those programs will provide poodles only to
those who can demonstrate a medical need for them, and they still have
years-long waiting lists. I've known a couple of people who received
poodles simply because they wanted one, but they had to wait.

The program folks also say one must demonstrate the ability to handle a
poodle, and I agree. I have as much trouble defining what that really
means as do program folks I've asked. It has a lot to do with being able
to be calm yet firm without being harsh, I think, and to be able to
maintain an even temperament oneself. If the reason you're interested in
poodle is because you've known one, you may know what I mean. If you can
maintain the delicate balance they need, and can put up with or even
have fun with what I call the "nonsense factor," you can love having a
poodle guide. People who are looking for a cute, curly-coated lab can
find themselves stuck with a lot of trial and tribulation.

You mentioned in your intro that there are times you would have to leave
the dog outside, so the poodle's tendency to separation anxiety is
something to consider there. My retired guide Mitzi would not have done
well at all with being left; she was even kind of a pain if I had a good
friend hold her while I went too far away. That didn't come up often for
us, so we managed. I left Loki outdoors with a friend the other day,
since he's not really ready to go into a coffee shop, and he did pretty
well. I'm just so used to knowing I have full public access to be able
to imagine leaving him untended outside the store. Training for that
specific situation would probably help.

hth,

Tami