[nagdu] picking breed, gender, and influences from others

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 07:48:01 UTC 2015

Tracy,
I should clarify those points you've challenged.
First, I made the soul mate analogy to drive home the point that
people should not just settle for a dog because it guides effectively.
I was challenging Dan's opinion that first-time handlers should focus
on the guide dog and guide work aspect rather than being choosy about
breed and sex. No matter what dog you're training with, you should
settle for a partner whose quirks, mannerisms, and personality you
love. Obviously, there will be something about each of our dogs that
we could live without, but if those behaviors are an extreme
disruption or hassle that we can't handle, or just don't want to deal
with, then we shouldn't think we have to, whether it's dog 1 or dog 7.

Second, there is a reason guide dog programs use different breeds and
cross-breed for health and temperament. Each of them has something
different to offer. All breeds have their advantages and weaknesses.
What is an advantage or weakness is sometimes dependent on the
individual. For instance, some people don't like that goldens are
usually softer, sensitive dogs. For me and other golden lovers, that
is a score.
Also, each breed has behavioral tendencies that they are known for. My
generalization was not a sloppy assertion that breed can be
responsible for any trait, but I meant to explain that each breed has
its own behavioral tendencies.
Golden retriever: sensitive, social, eager to please, couch potato;
labrador: goofy, upbeat, nose glued to the ground, your running buddy;
German shepherds: committed, protective, hates change;
boxers: balls of energy, high-strung, hard-headed.

These are just things trainers think of right away when they learn
that someone has x breed of dog, or they're about to work with a dog
and learn it is a certain breed. It's stereotyping. It's not true for
every dog of that breed all of the time, but it's what that breed is
known for because it's pretty darn common.

As for your golden/lab cross being the hardest to handle compared to
your previous 5 labs, I have 2 opinions.
1. The undesirable behavior could be crocked up to a lot of different
factors: parents' temperament, puppy-raiser foundation, formal guide
trainer, training methods, environmental stress, and so on. I
understand your point. However, if you and your husband feel it is
because he is part golden, then by all means, request purebred lab
next time, or at least one that's not a 50/50 or 75/25 cross.
Fortunately for you and your spouse, the odds are in your favor
because labs comprise the majority of guide dogs issued. What's the
harm in having that preference? It's the partner that you have to work
with day in and day out, so ultimately, it's up to you what
characteristics and traits you're willing to put up with.
2. I would not jump to a conclusion based on one dog. I'm inclined to
say your crossbreed's undesirable behavior is no more due to being
partially golden as my golden's dog distraction is due to him being
purebred golden.
My request for a golden had nothing to do with singular encounters
with a dog of a different breed, nor was it based on one golden.
Through people's pets and golden guides, I knew that goldens displayed
all the characteristics I wanted in a guide dog. I've also discussed
at length about how I feel that the breed chose me. The first future
guide dog I ever met was a female golden, and both times I went to
Leader Dog for the guide dog seminar for youth, I walked with male
golden retrievers.
I had met very few labs and German shepherds, so it wasn't that I had
any aversion to those breeds for breed-specific traits. But as I have
gained experience with training and handling other dog breeds,
including a number of labs, boxers, and German shepherds, it has
further solidified the choice I've made, and the choice I will make in
the future.
Plenty of people base biases and preferences off one-time experiences.
Who am I to say whether you should or shouldn't? There's no harm if
you choose to say no more golden in future guides because it primarily
affects you, and the people living with you and the dog.

I'm not here to convince anyone that goldens are best. I just want to
let people know that it's okay to be picky about breed. I was picky
and got what I wanted. Others can be picky and get what they want,
just know that being picky has its consequences.
Hope that makes more sense.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs