[nagdu] NAC

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Jul 12 17:57:25 UTC 2015

I knew that NFB has been aposed to NAC for many years but haven't
heard much about it until this year.  I decided to do some research on
the subject.  I went to the NAC website and tried to find the list of
members but their website is not accessible to JAWS.  I am running the
most recent release of JAWS.  So that didn't get me very far.  I then
read the most recent article in the Braille Monitor from 2009.  It was
an excellent article and gave me good information.  I would like to
know how many members NAC has at this time.  According to the article,
the last membership count was from 2003 and there were only 40 NAC
members.  There are over 440 agencies throughout the U.S. serving the
blind in 2009.  If anyone can provide this information I would
appreciate it.  I found it interesting that, at the time of the
writing of the article, Ohio and Florida had the most NAC accredited
organizations.  I believe some organizations in Ohio have not renewed
their  accreditation.  I also believe CARF has an accreditation for
organizations that provide services to blind people.  Has NFB looked
at this accreditation?

I have worked for an organization that was NAC accredited and it did a
fair job of providing services to blind people and an excellent job on
hiring qualified blind people in all areas.  I don't believe the NAC
accreditation is responsible for either service delivery or
employment.

Sorry about this long email and I hope someone can provide the
information I am seeking.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053