[nagdu] Better screening?

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Jul 13 15:30:19 UTC 2015

Melissa,

Guide dog schools are totally private agencies while colleges and university have more public ties or are state run organizations. Even so, you are right.

The stories you tell about guide dog users are not new. I can but wonder whether or not students are being given the best training or whether or not the right students are being admitted into the programs. That is, how firm are some of the programs when it comes to admitting students with less than good mobility skills? How sufficient is the training of students when it comes to handling guides in crowds? What more can schools do to help dog and handler better communicate?

I suspect the schools would say they are doing their best. However, perhaps it is time to explore finding a way to work with schools to better address some of the issues we all see. I have found that some people I meet from school staffs exhibit a bit of arrogance toward the knowledge and expertise of blind guide dog users. Trainers are not the only experts in guide dog use. We as users come from a different point of view and ought to be involved in addressing the issues we all have been discussing here.

NAGDU has had some discussions with our National Center about having a "guide dog conference" to open lines of communications between the schools and the organized blind. I will bring this up again at our next board meeting later this month.  By the way, everyone is invited to attend those meetings which take place on the last Sunday of every month at 8PM Eastern time. Stay tuned for information about how to dial into the meetings.

Regards,

Michael Hingson