[nagdu] resolution on ownership

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 23:11:08 UTC 2015

Robert,
You are right that if people don't like the ownership rules of the program they attend they can go elsewhere, but we have heard from several people who attend programs that do not give ownership but who are working for change.  We should stand behind that effort in the striving for equality that is part of what the federation stands for.
Also, how is this any different than an access denial?
If I go to a restaurant and they tell me I can't bring my dog inside, I could go to another restaurant where I will be treated fairly.
If we don't walk away from access denials, why are we walking away from this?

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 5:42 PM, Cindy Ray via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> I would actually not count on that fact that you have stated. I think it
> could happen. And yes, I get the point of going to one of the five schools
> if I want ownership, but I think the real point is that it puts into
> question the sability to take responsibility of blind people. Robert, aren't
> you a professor? I'm not sure you are, but imagine that you have just
> received an honorary chair at a university because of some brilliant work
> you've done. You are well respected in academia. Then you go to a guide dog
> school and they tell you that you can apply for ownership of your dog after
> a year, and in the meantime you will need to send along lots of info about
> the dog. In all honesty, how would this cause you to feel? Maybe more to the
> point, does it make any sense that you, a well-respected member of academia
> on the one hand can't be trusted to care for a dog. Of course you might be
> abusive to the dog, but you could kick the dog to death whether you owned it
> or not before anybody at the school even knew about it. The schools will
> still follow up if you need help, but the local law enforcement officers are
> who take care of it in your locale because the school can't possibly see to
> you quickly enough. They don't have spies in your community watching every
> move you make.
> I can see how it is that the donors dictate these policies. M Dear -ex
> called it the care and feeding of volunteers.
> Cindy Lou

>>> nagdu:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/cannona%40fireant
>>> pr