[nagdu] lots and lots of very overweight dogs.

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:15:44 UTC 2015

Vivianna, I take offence at your comments on the overweight dogs as well as
your comments about 90% of Blind people being overweight. First of all, I
currently have 9 dogs in my home. Some are my working guides,some are my
retired guides and service dogs and some are rescues that I am working with
to make them more adoptable. 1 is in training to be my next wheelchair
guide. Only 1 of those dogs is slightly overweight.That is only because she
is very good about being a food thief. She is on a diet and is crated until
all of the other dogs have finished eating.Her weight has come down and is
still being watched so that she does not gain any more. I feel my dogs ribs
in order to see what their proper weight is. I am constantly keeping an
"eye" on my dog' weight. I am very aware of the health issue of overweight
dogs.I myself,am over weight ,not because I eat too much or eat unhealthy
food. I used to weigh 105 pounds when I came to Arizona ,33 years ago. Due
to my health issues,I have had to be on a medication called Prednisone.
This medication causes weight gain.If I want to continue to breath or to be
able to walk at all, I need to be on  this drug often.It is also very
damaging to internal organs and bones. I don't have a choice if I want to
live. I hate the side affects, but will put up with them so I can function.
I am very sure that many people who are not blind are also over weight due
to many reasons.What difference does it make weather a person is
overweight,be they blind or not.Some times health conditions are the cause
for both dog and human.I think most people try to keep their dogs in
properweight and shape. I think some may not be aware of the problem.The
same of their own weight . It is not your place to tell the NFB to do
something about the problem. Sometimes,the problem is just not fixable and,
we have to live with it. I don't like being reminded that I am overweight.
I know it and I can't do any thing about it. There is more to me than just
being an overweight blind person.Most of my dogs are healthy and the 2 that
have allergies are under a vets care. I am a human being with lots of other
attributes, and I do what I can to help other people and animals. If people
don't like the way I look, They don't have to look at me!   Mardi

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/