[nagdu] Should Service dogs in training be allowed in the classroom?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jul 16 03:52:30 UTC 2015

Steve,

Requiring the identifying gear for dogs in training makes sense, since
they're often accompanying an abled-bodied raiser or trainer. When folks
were wanting a green vest on Mitzi, she was task trained enough that she
was working me to new places, and I wasn't using the cane, so I sort of
wanted to jump up and down about it. Also, green is GDB's trademark vest
color, so even if I had used an in-training vest, it would have been a
different color. Since at the time, as I understand it, GDB had specific
arrangements with most area businesses for access for their puppy
raisers, the vest was highly significant for them.

I'll admit that I'm happy enough not to be required to spring for a
special vest at this point. If I'd been taking Loki into places more
when he was really a puppy, I would have gotten one, though people see
the white cane and get a clue that he's being trained and what for.
Since we've been working on that bark of his while learning lots of
outdoor guiding skills, he'll be largely task-trained by the time we're
going into places where pets are not allowed. Turns out pets are allowed
just about everywhere around here, so I'll have plenty of places to take
him to practice indoor navigation and manners. By the time I'm ready to
dare grocery stores and restaurants, he'll be guiding me there.

Will the law you're working on include a definition of "in training" for
when the vest or whatever is required? When the dog is being trained by
someone for the disabled person for whom it will work, the distinction
is pretty cut and dried. With owner-training, it's more of a gradual
transition, depending on the tasks involved and how quickly the dog
learns them. I have a friend whose dog is fully task trained, but she's
still working on a few things for public access training. She refers to
the dog as "in training," quite properly in my opinion. Technically,
though, for ADA purposes, it meets the definition of service dog. My
beastie is starting to perform some tasks reliably while we're going
about learning others. I can entertain myself by wondering for academic
purposes if he meets the definition yet or not. Well, I could, if I had
spare time when I'm not entertaining him. /lol/

I'll be interested to see the wording you come up with and see how your
law fares.

Tami