[nagdu] Agility

Bryan Gearry bgearry at alaskafrontier.net
Fri Jul 17 12:50:22 UTC 2015

Good Morning Tracy, I just read your post and the first thing that came
to mind was sensory or work overload. I am a first time Guide dog
handler and I find it takes all my concentration to make sure my Guide
is working for the safety issues. I would think that agility training
might be counter productive for the Guide training. I have my Guide for
5 years and I learn every day, but I have to pay attention all the time.
I'm no authority, it just seems that our Guides have one job and that is
for our safety and navigation. It seems like agility training which
would probably be a lot of fun for the dog is also like
multi-tasking....possibly. Hopefully some of the experienced and long
time handlers will chime in on this and give you a better answer to your
question. I think it might be like using a retriever as a Guide and then
go out bird hunting with them. They might not understand the
difference....I'm just saying. I will be watching for the responses as
it is a very good question.

www.alaskafrontier.net