[nagdu] Resolving dry, itchy skin was Coconut Oil

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 03:34:49 UTC 2015

I suggest an omega-3 supplement for dry, itchy skin. If the problem is
chronic, there is an underlying issue. The skin should not be
naturally dry unless you are dealing with dry heat or dry wintry air.
And even then, you can increase certain foods in the diet so that this
is a nonissue. Excessive washing also results in itchy skin because
this disturbs the microflora and nutrient content of the skin.

Find a fish oil supplement free of soy. Use a product obtained from
deep-sea oily fish, such as Sardines, krill, anchovy, salmon, stuff
like that.
Give your dog 300 mg of combined EPA and DHA per 10 lbs of body weight.
For instance, if I were to give my 66-lb golden the therapeutic, or
medicinal, dose of fish oil, I would purchase 1800 mgs capsules of
fish oil and give him one daily.

But let's say I could only find quality capsules as 1200 mg per
capsule. Since I know he needs 1800 mg daily, I would multiply that by
7 to get what he needs weekly.
1800 mg*7 days = 12600 mg.
12600 mg weekly / 1200 mg per capsule = 10.5 capsules per week.

Since my dog is typically 66-70 lbs, I'd give him 11 of those 1200-mg
capsules per week, splitting them up over the 7-day period. When the
problem was under control, I would reduce the amount to 100 mgs of
combined EPA and DHA per 10 lbs daily. That knocks us down to needing
600 mgs daily, so I could give 1 1200-mg capsule every 2 days.

You do not need a specific amount of EPA and a specific amount of DHA.
The numbers should be close though. For instance, if a product has
1200 mg of EPA and DHA it should not be 200 DHA and 1000 EPA. I doubt
something like that is even out there, but anything is possible. It
should be something like 500 and 700.

If any part of that made no sense, let me know.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs