[nagdu] Theft prevention WAS Re: restaurants and cafes

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 05:02:14 UTC 2015

Hi Jennifer,
I only requested a golden, nothing more specific than that.
I personally taught my dog to ignore other people. I was extremely
selfish with him when I first came home with him. I kept him on leash
for 2 weeks in the house, and did not allow anyone to play with or
interact with my dog without giving him a go-ahead, and giving the
person the go-ahead. So my dog had to listen for 2 words before anyone
could interact with him. If he tried to interact with a person before
I gave the go-ahead, I had  my family member ignore him, or I removed
him from that situation by leading him away. I removed the reward for
interacting with others without my permission while on-leash.
After a few weeks, I had my family members call to my dog, making
kissy noises, whistling, shaking food, and throwing food at him while
I did obedience routines. I taught him to ignore all this by using
high value rewards and redirecting his behavior. If he tried to go for
them or catch any food, I made everyone stop and leave the room or
ignore him. This way, going toward all that nonsense was not rewarding
for him.

Then, I started doing all this off leash. I wanted to trust that if I
left my dog somewhere in a down-stay, he would be in that position
when I got back. So I repeated the same things as before with him
off-leash but close by. The better he was able to stay in place, the
more I increased the distance between him and I. As I increased the
distance, I had my family tone down the nonsense each time, then kick
it up when he showed he could handle the basic stuff.
For instance, if I was ten feet away and my family started throwing
food at him and he would try to catch it, I had them go back to just
calling to him, "Hey, doggie, dogie. Hey buddy!" If he couldn't handle
that, I'd reduce it to just kissy noises and whistling. When he
stopped responding to them, I had them increase their distractions.
Hopefully, that makes sense.

Then I started doing this with me out of the room and out of sight.
That was really hard because once all the bs started, he would
immediately come running to find me. That was cool because at least he
didn't go toward the nutty, attention-getting people. But at the same
time, I really wanted him to stay no matter what.
I incorporated periods of time into the mix. How long could this crap
go on for before he decided to run to find me? He could tolerate it
for a good 30 seconds. So I scaled it down to 20 seconds. After 20
seconds, I ducked in the room, and went to him for petting, praise,
and some treats for staying and being a good boy. After several
repetitions, I increased the time increments by 20 seconds, 60
seconds, and so on.

This took about 2 weeks of several times daily training sessions. It
was probably some nutty version of doggie avoidance training boot
camp, but he made it without quitting on me so he's a trooper. I did
all of that without knowing much about the ins and outs of dog
training. But I did a lot of thinking hard and thinking of how I could
work with my dog's limits on what he could and couldn't handle. I
thought a lot about how to expand what he could handle, and how to do
it in a rewarding way.

I also had my friends do some of this when I went to college. I wanted
him to know that no matter where we were, he needed to focus on what I
said more than anyone else. It worked.
I also don't disclose my dog's name to most people in public. He
responds very well to his name, and I don't want people calling to
him, or telling other people who might call to him. I can tell people
at work because employees at a guide dog school won't interact with my
dog physically or verbally without my permission because there's
working dogs that we all know all over the place.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs