[nagdu] Theft prevention WAS Re: restaurants and cafes

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Jul 19 16:44:35 UTC 2015

Jennifer,

Mitzi was so naturally reserved around strangers that I was able to just
reinforce that tendency, then teach her to interact with specific
strangers with permission or a request that she do so. Later in her
career she lightened up and turned into kind of a floozy, especially
after I got the puppy. I guess she figured if I was going to be a
two-timer like that, then she could flirt, too! /lol/ Loki is a born
lover. The entire human race is his friend, even if he hasn't seen them
for a bit. So he needs to say hi every time he meets a friend he hasn't
seen for awhile. If they are going the other way, he thinks we should
turn around and walk with them for awhile. /lol/ He's mostly past it and
is learning the "controlled greet" where if people ask and he is waiting
nicely, he can say hi. The fact that people can't resist reaching for
the topknot is increasing his reserve, since reaching with the palm down
over a dog's head is not comfortable for the dog. People will be doing
that to him, so he has to learn to deal, but it's also nice that he
isn't actively seeking the interaction so much these days.

We haven't yet been around folks giving him commands while we're on the
go. With Mitzi, what I would do when someone would forget and tell her
which way to go was to wait a beat to repeat the command, then reward
her for obeying me. Or I would give a counter command. So if someone
said, "Mitzi, left," I would say, "Mitzi, halt," wait a beat, then give
the left command. And so forth. I'll be doing the same with Loki at some
point.

I'm not sure what the schools do, since their dogs are raised and
trained by several people before they're matched with the handler
they're supposed to obey exclusively.

hth,

Tami