[nagdu] Proper treat delivery, without encouraging the treat monster

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Jul 19 17:19:10 UTC 2015

Great description, Raven! Thanks for sharing.

Another owner-trainer pointed me to a great article on using markers not
too long before I got Loki, and it has really helped to think in those
terms, especially since I'm using a verbal marker with him so far. I
don't know why, but thinking of it as a marker instead of praise, with
the treat as the reward does something for me. He also sees the marker
as praise and rewarding and no longer really needs the treat for a lot
of things. Poodles aren't very food-motivated, or at least mine aren't,
so they phase out the treats on their own. They're also more likely to
watch my face than my treat hand, which helps. My husband's dog is
totally food-motivated, so I have to work with her a little differently
and occasionally rework enough positioning that she doesn't trip me in
case I might be reaching for my treat pocket.

Tami