[nagdu] expectations of the blind & guide dogprograms'admissionstandards

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 20 15:13:10 UTC 2015

Hi Debby:

I also have some orientation issues, much more now that I am older than I
did when I was young.  I used to be able to remember the layout of strange
places immediately but, now it takes me a few times to get it right.  My
neurologist says it is because I have lesions on the short term part of the
brain from multiple sclerosis.  I find it extremely frustrating and I know
it results in more stress for me and my dog.  Last year when I got Eva I had
trouble remembering the routes they gave us and that had never happened to
me before.  Fortunately the trainers were extremely understanding and were
right there to remind me if I forgot.  They said the important thing is that
I worked my dog correctly and not if I could remember a route in a strange
city.  Thanks to them for their understanding and cooperation.  People can
be very cruel when it comes to orientation difficulties and many of them are
blind themselves.

Sandra and Eva