[nagdu] Fw: [nfbmi-talk] Fw: guide dog banned from church bus

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 03:44:06 UTC 2015

I have read with interest the responses on this topic since someone
posted the original news story from the web.

Perhaps my perspective is different from that of most people since I am
a guide dog partner and also have served as a lay leader in a good sized
church.  I was on the governing council of a 500-member church for five
years.  Two of those years I was the council chair. Working alongside
the Senior Pastor, we had to make a number of policy decisions.  We
tried to be always prayerful and never arbitrary or capricious.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with the Pastor's decision but I
think I understand it.

Look closely at his concern.  I don't think he was worried about the
safety or health of the children because of the guide dog.  He was
worried about how parents of those children might react to having the
dog on the bus.  If you've ever been in church leadership, you can
understand that.  People get their pews in a bunch over the most amazing
things. So I think he was trying to be sensitive to the sensitivities of
parents with children on the bus.

And I can tell you from experience that people will sue churches as
quickly as they will sue businesses.  So the people who exercise
stewardship over a church's funds and other assets have to be sensitive
to a church's vulnerability to litigation.

It seems the pastor tried to offer a workable alternative, offering
rides to the woman with the guide dog.  Perhaps a better solution would
have been to allow the guide dog on the bus and let parents know it
would be there.  They could then decide if that was acceptable.  If not,
he could arrange rides for the children.

It is important to remember that while we want the leaders of churches
to be tolerant, merciful and acoomodating, that's also a calling for the
congregants as well.

Craig and Chase, who is always welcome at our church