[nagdu] Fw: [nfbmi-talk] Fw: guide dog banned from church bus

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 00:24:32 UTC 2015

Hello:

In my forty years of working with guide dogs, I've had some wonderful
experiences at churches and some horrible experiences.  It is too bad the
ADA does not apply to churches.  It is that kind of behavior and attitude
that caused me to quit going to church five years ago.  No matter how many
churches I called, none of them wanted to give me a ride with my dog.  I
went with my parents a few times when I first moved here but many people,
even the pastor said dogs do not belong in church.  I informed them that
when I was living in New York State I and my guide dog were very welcome.  I
participated in all Bible studies and worship services.  My dog would guide
me up to receive communion and receive her blessing from the pastor.  I  was
a soloist and member of the church and concert choirs.  Unfortunately since
moving to Greenwood Indiana, the story is quite different.  Finally I got so
mad, I just gave up.

Sandra and Eva