[nagdu] teaching retrieving without encouraging scavenging

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Jul 21 23:38:25 UTC 2015

My opinion disagrees with your opinion. The stated reason is that it was too hard on the dogs and instructors, and, moreover, took a lot of time in the training cycle that, one supposes, could be better spent on things like traffic. There's probably some truth to this. Also, I suspect that not all dogs approach retrieve with the same sort of zeal or eagerness or even willingness, and it could be that some otherwise good guides were dropped due to their unwillingness or inability to fetch. Being decided that it's a nice to have and not a necessity, I expect it was dropped in part so that more dogs could be passed.

At least one instructor told me that a lot of graduates didn't use fetch really either. I don't know if they did or didn't, but I've often thought it would be a handy thing.

I think Fidelco was the last school to drop fetch, FWIW.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name