[nagdu] teaching retrieving without encouraging scavenging

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jul 22 10:57:29 UTC 2015

I never taught Monty a formal retrieve, but he will put his nose on things I
have dropped...or at least he used to.  I haven't used this skill in a good
while. He's a natural retriever so a lot of training wasn't really
necessary.

First I taught him very strong food Zen when he was younger.  This is what
we were just talking about for Tracy's situation.  It's fancy food refusal.
Monty was crazy when he was a puppy.  He jumped on the counters, stole food
and was generally a menace, a very sweet menace, but still a menace.

Only after food refusal was well engrained, I started encouraging him to go
to things I had dropped.  I started with very obvious things that didn't
belong.  I didn't do this in any sort of formal way.  I think I used hair
scrunchies.  It was different and he would naturally go to it to
investigate.  I praised the interest enthusiastically. I tried different
objects in different rooms and eventually worked up to dropping things
before he entered the room. I never used food until a lot later in this
process.

I have accidentally dropped Advil tablets and he found them for me.  I
didn't even know that it had been dropped, but he went to something like he
always had.  when I checked it out, there it was.  Scary, but proud of the
boy.

Monty will eat food dropped on the floor at home.  It's my house rule that
he can have it.  If I need to I can tell him to "leave it" and he will back
off.  He does not scavenge or lunge for food when out in public.  He will
eat food if it drops on his head though.  A waitress dropped a roll on his
head, which he ate before it hit the floor.  He also does not have any
interest in eating non food items.

I'm very comfortable with these behaviors.  It works for me.  It does not
cause confusion or problems for him or me.  He understands the difference
between home and away.   As always your mileage may vary, proceed at your
own risk, decide for yourself and all that.

As an aside...Jetta  has different rules.  She's quite a lot younger, newer
and is a different dog with different needs.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC