[nagdu] Uber denies ride to blind man's service dog

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Jul 26 15:13:31 UTC 2015

A church or religious organization is covered under the first
amendment but an individual is not covered.  A Muslim mosque can
refuse to allow dogs into the worship service but a Muslim cannot
refuse service in a cab, restaurant or any other business that is a
public establishment.  I have taken my dogs into several restaurants
run by Muslims and once they know it is a service dog there has not
been a problem.  I have never had a problem with Uber either.  I know
it happens and, I do not believe the driver can deny the ride.  This
is one of those gray areas that were not around when the ADA was
passed.  I know how I want it to turn out but it will need to make its
way through the courts.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053