[nagdu] Wanted: opinions about guide dogs

Elise Berkley bravaegf at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:12:12 UTC 2015

Hello, Mikaela.  It took me 20 years to decide to get a guide.  I was very
comfortable with folding my cane in and out, putting it in my bag when I was
sitting, no worries, right!  I, also, agree with what has been stated.  One
thing I have noticed is that I travel faster with Becky and more safely.  It
is not that she walks fast because she does not.  Her pace is a nice,
steady, moderate walk.  It is that I do not have to use my cane to tap and
make sure I do not walk into any obstacles.  She smoothly guides me around
these things and I can keep a steady movement.

Another very big thing form e is, if I am at a corner or driveway, and a car
is turning without giving me a chance after pausing, she will set her 60
pound body in a sit position and will not move.  This way, I am not always
taking chances with drivers trying to turn in front of me before I start
walking.  Now, things do happen but a few times, she has let me know not to
go because of a car.

The last thing I want to mention is the companionship between Becky and me.
She is my best friend and I love her so much because she is a good dog and
she takes very good care of me.  If I would have known it would be like
this, I would have gotten a guide dog a long time ago.

Good luck in your considerations for a guide.  You will love her/him, trust
me.
Elise and Becky