[nagdu] Wanted: opinions about guide dogs

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:02:15 UTC 2015

				You've gotten some good advice.
A guide dog will move you through your environment the way you'd be moving
as if you could see. Is that what you want?

Realize that people don't "get" guide dogs. I've had two dogs, and I have
two children, both still little. I can tell you that having children is by
far easier because the world understands. This isn't so with a guide dog.
People expect the dog to be fully functional, and that is based on their
definitions (note the plural) which may or may not be based in reality.
With a guide dog, you need to keep at the front of your mind the working
relationship. If the dog has a bad day or couple of days, you will be
thinking "Is it time for retirement?" or "How do I fix this". I don't expect
or need my kids to be functional components of a working system... with a
guide dog, you do. You will need to love your dog while keeping in mind why
they are there.
The cycle of getting a dog, learning to work with it, enjoying that dog and
the process, retiring the dog and starting over again with a new dog is very
difficult emotionally. You have to decide if that is how you want to spend
your emotional energy.
You will have access issues which you will need to deal with one way or
another.
Some of your friends and family may or may not adjust well to you having a
dog. That's true of all phases of life, it is just something to know.

As for schools, what matters to you. Does ownership of the dog matter? Why
or why not? Does follow-up matter? Does the type of training methods used
matter?
You don't have to decide this tonight or even tomorrow. You can also change
your mind at any time. Many people have gotten dogs, then stopped using dogs
then gone back to using them.

Others have covered the care and feeding aspects of a guide dog. Will those
aspects integrate well into your lifestyle? When you get home from anything,
do you think "I sure wish I had a dog to cuddle or play with and care for"
or do you think "I want to talk with my husband, read a nice book, play with
my kids..."
A dog won't mature the way a human does. This sounds obvious but it means
that a dog will never be able to fix itself a sandwich or go potty by
itself. If Grandma doesn't like dogs and won't look after your dog while you
go dancing, nothing will change that. It's not like a grandma that says "My
poop days are over, Johnny is welcome to stay with me when he can reliably
use the potty".
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.