[nagdu] Wanted: opinions about guide dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jul 30 14:28:27 UTC 2015

There's one advantage no one has mentioned yet:  dogs are very helpful in
snow and ice.  I lived in Minnesota when I got my first dog, and I was
amazed how much easier winter travel was.
A disadvantage no one has mentioned?  Dogs sometimes do embarrassing things,
like steal food (they shouldn't, but sometimes do), or throw up at
inopportune times, like my first dog throwing up in the middle of my
accounting class.  Not often, but it happens.  Like a boy scout, one should
always Be Prepared.

I might have thought some of the disadvantages were a big deal before I got
a dog; now, I just deal with it and move on.  Or look at them as
opportunities, like, I have to take my dog out to relieve, so I get to get
up from my desk and go outside for a bit of fresh air and a change of scene.
Tracy