[nagdu] follow Command

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 16:39:54 UTC 2015

Hi Danielle,
 teach my current dog to follow.  He follows without me wanting him
to.  It's either a way of testing me, him being lazy, or simply that
he likes my friends.  But I am actually correcting him for following
because when he follows, he doesn't work anymore.  I can feel it in
the harness, and it's hard to explain to others.  I have run into
things this way though as well as off curbs and down stairs.  So yeah,
we may never follow... ever...  But that's ok in most situations.

Bill is so chill that if I need to, I can lightly touch a friend to
keep track of them while he's guiding.  I did this yesterday when we
were at a loud establishment.  When I did that, he actually lost the
motivation to follow, which he had tried to do a few minutes before.
It's very interesting what you can say to your dog with the simplest
of body language.
I'll respond to your message as well but thought I could chime in here.

I taught my first dog to follow, and she got pretty good at it for the
most part.  She was picky about who she followed.  I did a hand
gesture towards the person we needed to follow before saying forward
as the person was walking.  I just practiced following by getting her
bacvk on track with the other person when she decided not to follow.
But what Rox does may serve you better because I relied on my hearing
for this.

I may not ever be able to

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind of Missouri second vice president,