[nagdu] follow Command

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 18:23:32 UTC 2015

Well, one thing I have learned working this dog is that we take baby
steps...  Danielle will understand because she knows I have a beast of
a stubbern Labrador.  :)

I actually had to limit all interaction between my dog and my friends
last winter.  I took it away completely for a few months because of
the following issue as well as him not listening to me, getting too
excited when they were around, etc.  (I only got him a year ago after
all.)

The school suggested this, but they said that I should wait months
before lifting the restrictions.  No, I didn't do that.  We are just
lifting them slowly.  He cannot play with my friends.  For some
reason, he especially gets crazy around my guy friends...  Lol Explain
that one if you can...  After convention, I will try playing with him
and a friend at the same time.  (Not kidding about the baby steps...)

I may eventually integrate following but not until he can get used to
my friends being around while he's working and doesn't turn into spazz
dog every time he sees "any" of them.

I can see him slowly, slowly getting better.  He ignores most of my
female friends while he's working and will come when called if one of
them is petting him while we're hanging out at home.  But the guys...
It's still a work in progress...

I think Danielle, you're doing the right thing with Willa.  Be patient
with the following, and it will come.  Willa is a good girl, and you
are so right that some dogs prefer to follow rather than give up their
guiding control.

Sometimes I feel like I could write the book on second dog syndrome,
since this dog has been such an abrupt change for me.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/kaybaycar%40gmail.