[nagdu] Barking at Other Dogs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jun 10 22:46:24 UTC 2015

Alysha,

I think you're right in wanting to use a more positive approach rather
than risking turning a nuisance behavior towards stress or even
aggression. If the dog associates the painful correction with the
trigger -- the other dog -- instead of the barking, then the behavior
will get worse, almost certainly.

What has worked best with my barky pup is to simply turn him around and
lead him away from what he is barking at. He's friendly, and I want to
keep that; I just want him to keep his mouth shut. He's doing really
well by now. Since I'm still using my cane, turning him away from the
thing he wants to interact with is easy. As soon as he's quiet and going
with me, I relax and let him turn to look at whatever it is. If he pipes
up again, I turn him around and take him away from it. Since what he's
wanting is a positive interaction, letting him watch it is the positive
reward. I offer him treats, but mostly he's more interested in the
thingamagig than the treats. So I let him watch it and praise him for
quiet. Now he almost never backslides, though he will stop to watch
interesting things. He's passing more of those by more and more, so yay
for progress. I've also been using the same principle for when the dogs
bark at the bedroom window by pulling down the shade so they can't see
whatever it is that requires so much commentary. Works miracles! They
still bark at some things, but it's quieter and shorter. If I act like
I'm going to stop what I'm doing and go in to the room, silence reigns!
Whew!

When the guide is working, it might help to just stop him and pull his
head around gently but firmly so that he can't look at the other dog
that is so exciting. I use the word "quiet" a lot in a quiet voice, as
well. Then when he shuts up and relaxes a bit towards you, you can let
up but pull his head back around if he starts getting excited again. Of
course, if the other dog is coming towards you, that may not work. It
can depend on whether the person walking the other dog is paying
attention and has a brain. /lol/

Would it be possible to take him out on leash, using your cane for
mobility, so that you can turn him when he gets excited about another
dog? Or is there someone you know with a dog that you can use to set him
up in a controlled way so you know the other dog is there and what it is
doing? If your guy's bark is a friendly one, wanting to interact and
play with the other dog, then having the other dog turn around when your
dog barks might also help him get the idea. If he stays quiet and on
task, he can approach the other dog with everybody happy. If he gets
wound up, then his new buddy goes away, or he has to go another way, and
nobody is happy. That's the principle, anyway.

You describe your fellow as friendly, and the behavior you describe
sounds like it could be happy excitement, wanting to play with the other
dog, in which case it's a matter of teaching better manners. If you feel
it may be more of a wanting to chase the other dog off, then
desensitizing him may be trickier. Has he been attacked recently or
anything like that to make him defensive?

Best of luck, and let us know what you come up with and what works.

Tami