[nagdu] Would I ever give up having a dog?

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Thu Jun 18 14:58:36 UTC 2015

Well there is no definitive proof that my mind isn't mush already--lol.
Well look, sometimes over the twenty-one years I've had dogs I say "my god,
what a pain"--lol.
This is when the puppy is sick and I have to worry about vet bills, or when
I deal with idiots giving me access issues.
And the feeling of sadness or loss when I have to put down a beloved dog is
just hard to take.
I do love dogs more than I can say and I get pretty darned attached. Each
tme I've had to retire a dog I say to myself "maybe you want to take a break
for a while?" but then I get back in the saddle again pretty darned quickly,
or is it the harness?

Having said that though, when it's working great it just works great and I
get such a thrill from walking with my dog and I do enjoy having my dog's
company.  I think looking back on it that getting a four-legged mobility aid
and buddy changed my life for the better no question about it. I knew when I
was in my early twenties I had to do something about my mobility.  The cane
wasn't doing it for me, though since people seem to get sensitive on this
subject I'll add the proviso that I'm talking about myself and not trying to
allege the cane isn't a good mobility tool--smile

A guide dog accompanied by your own determination and motivation to make it
succeed, can do wonders.
I think I have mentioned numerous times that I only hear out of the right
ear and this can play havoc with your sense of orientation.
If you have the right dog, once you start to bond and work well the dog can
really help you compensate for veering and take initiative and it's just a
wonderful experience
I think the only time I might say let's just not do this any more if I
indeed really couldn't walk, I mean not just limited walking but no walking
at all...or if I lived in some country where having a guide dog is a bad
idea...I'm looking in to traveling so I do think about hose things.

I've been abroad with my dog to several countries and sometimes it's touch
and go in places without access legislation or where the culture is not a
dog-friendly one..

.
Cheerful regards to all,
Dan W. and the big lug, I mean Parker