[nagdu] Dog Parks

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 19 23:29:44 UTC 2015

Elise,

This is a VERY divisive issue among guide dog handlers, but here is my opinion on them:
1) If becky's off-leash recall is not consistent, DO NOT take her to a dog park, period. Too many things can happen to her if her off-leash recall is not good enough for her to consistently come back to you when there might be something/someone (dog?) more interesting than listening.
2) If her off-leash recall is good, do your research into local dog parks, and find smaller quieter ones.  Put a bell onto her collar so you can hear where she is.  Your husband being there, at least the first few times you go, is a good thing, but you can safely take your dog to smaller, familiar parks on your own provided her recall is good and your navigation skills are up to it..

Others won't agree with me, but I think off-leash recall and dog parks should be taught by every guide dog school, if for no other reason than to give students the option to use them if they make an educated, well-informed choice to do so.

Daryl