[nagdu] Experience talk needed for this sad puppy

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 20 21:31:49 UTC 2015

Hello:

I am so sorry to hear about this.  It is definitely very sad news.  I
suppose you will not know until the X-rays if it is a complete or partial
tare.  The treatment options may be different depending on the severity of
the injury.  I had a female golden, Cinnamon,  with a partial tare in her
right ACL after a boy on a skateboard slammed into her.  Since it was only
partial my vet chose not to do surgery.  He said sometimes the partial tares
will heal themselves over time.  He did advise me that this could be a
career ending injury.  Cinnamon was immediately put on high doses of
anti-inflammatory pain medications.   She was not worked for several months
in the hope scar tissue would gradually repair the tare.  Even though she
wasn't working,the vet advised me to walk her around the house or yard.  He
had me start very slow and for a few minutes gradually increasing the time
and distance as she was able to tolerate it.  The reason he gave was to keep
her joints from becoming stiff and her muscles too weak.  He also showed me
exercises to do on the injured leg to help it regain strength and range of
motion.    finally the vet let her do short walks but, her work was very
limited.  She no longer had stamina for long walks, had trouble with high
curbs and steps and was painful in damp cold weather.  I did end up having
to retire her as a result of this injury.  Cinnamon was six-and-a-half years
old when she was injured so the outcome may be different for a younger dog.
Give him lots of love from me and good luck.  I will keep you and your
beloved pup in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandra and Eva