[nagdu] Experience talk needed for this sad puppy

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jun 20 21:10:24 UTC 2015

Valerie,

I'm so sorry your guy got hurt. Our neighbor's wonderful hunting dog got
the same injury, so I've heard a bit about it. Apparently, there are two
surgeries. One is kinda expensive and will fix things up for awhile. The
other is hideously expensive, with only a few vets qualified to do it,
but it supposedly lasts the dog's lifetime. The injury will also heal on
its own to some extent, but there is danger of re-injury, especially in
an energetic dog. The neighbor has chosen not to get the surgery, but
the dog is doing well for now since the initial injury healed up. It's a
Brittany spaniel, so smallish and compact, which may help.

Finding ways to keep his mind engaged while he's recovering is a good
idea. There are toys designed to do that, and one can always invent
interactive games. Training him to do other tasks, like picking stuff
up, or even tricks can also keep him learning and mentally active. After
a year off, you may need to take him back a few levels in training for
review until he's ready to advance again.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have to break off training
just when it's really starting to come together. At 14 months, Loki is
getting closer to that place, and I can't wait. He also spends most of
his days running and leaping and blowing off all that poodle energy.
It's important for him, but I often think I would rather wrap him in
bubble wrap and store him in the closet where he can't hurt himself.

We'll be thinking of you and wishing your boy a good and speedy recovery.

Tami