[nagdu] Broken nail?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jun 21 10:55:02 UTC 2015

Monty has had a couple of broken nails over the years.  Usually I trim off
any bits that are sticking out from the main nail, trying to clean it up as
best as I can.  Once he broke his nail off, well it was flopping by a tiny
bit, about a quarter of an inch from the cuticle area.  Not sure if that's
what you call it on a dog?  At any rate, it was bleeding all over the place.
It bothered him, but not nearly as much as I would imagine it should have.
We went to the vet, where they sedated him, removed the rest of the broken
nail, cleaned it up and stopped the bleeding.  He was only there a couple of
hours.  He wore a bandage over it for a day or two.  I was supposed to keep
it dry.  I wrapped a pick up bag over the foot when he went outside.  I
didn't have boots for him then.  I kept him on light duty for a few days,
not wanting to scrape off the tip and get it to bleeding again.  He didn't
seem bothered by the whole event much at all.

If Jenny's nail isn't bleeding, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you
think it might break worse, a quick trip to the vet tomorrow wouldn't be
amiss.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC