[nagdu] minature horses as guides

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 23:26:32 UTC 2015

Sandra,
Your response is very inappropriate, and your claim is ill-supported.
Saying that guide horses are a stupid idea because of this one horse
you encountered during this one event was a safety risk and nuisance
is a faulty generalization. People have done the same with dogs and
people. "Well, this one dog bit me when I was a child, so all dogs are
dangerous." Or, "This one guide dog I saw at this restaurant was
barking and lunging, so it's okay for all guide dogs to behave in such
a way." Or, "This one black man robbed my family when I was young, so
all black people are criminals." Or, "This one man assaulted me, so
all men are monsters." Do you see my point?
Don't make a generalization off of one experience. Just as all dogs,
guide dogs, and people are not the same, not all horses or guide
horses are the same. Your claim makes no sense. And I think you can
phrase it more diplomatically.

I think guide horses are a great idea for people who don't like dogs,
are more fond of horses, and want a service animal with a longer
lifespan. Another upside to horses is that their field of vision is
greater than dogs because of the positioning of their eyes. Also,
horses would do great with clearing overhead obstacles because they're
prey animals, so they naturally look up. People with guide horses
might not have to deal with the distractions and problem behaviors
that people with guide dogs do. I don't want to assume, but I wonder
if guide horse handlers have as many issues with scavenging, sniffing,
animal-distracted horses.
There are some disadvantages to the horses, such as more frequent
relieving times, needing a yard for the horse, and maybe dealing with
a horse who won't lie down. But I think they can be trained to lie
down. I mean, they can get into cars and such, so I imagine they're
not standing during a car ride.
Dogs and horses are different animals, and have different abilities,
advantages, and drawbacks. But I think the people with horses
obviously view their guide horses as being less of a chore and more
advantageous, otherwise they wouldn't have one. Just as those of us
with guide dogs generally don't consider our dogs a burden or
bothersome, I imagine horse handlers are just alike. If it was such a
hassle, they wouldn't have them.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs