[nagdu] minature horses as guides

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 19:49:10 UTC 2015

Hi, Raven,

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution to the discussion of miniature
horses as guides. You are correct that guide horses do great with overhead
obstacles and keeping track of moving objects all around us because of their
wide field of vision. I have also found that my mini horse guide has a great
memory for all her tasks and that she doesn't get "rusty" even after a
lay-off of some time due to bad weather or other interruptions in our
regular work schedule. I also find that the horse is much more conscious of
slippery or otherwise dangerous walking surfaces than the dogs are. This is
probably because dogs have a lower center of gravity and can scrabble over
very rough or uneven surfaces, whereas horses have to be more aware of where
they place their feet, so they understand that their partners need to be
alerted to such conditions. At any rate, Panda is great at slowing down for
slippery spots and avoiding rough patches, mud, water, etc. And her back
just happens to be the perfect height to provide that little extra support
for those times when the icey places are unavoidable. She is also good about
stopping for cracks in the sidewalk and other changes of elevation. I don't
know whether all miniature horse guides are as good at these things as Panda
or whether it is because she has been trained and handled using positive
reinforcement methods so that she considers all of these "obstacles" to be
opportunities for reinforcement rather than things to worry about.

And you are also correct that guide horses do not have the animal
distraction issues that some dogs do. While my miniature horse has been
known to take a bite of grass from time to time when we are walking on a
grassy surface, this has not proven to be a major inconvenience. The grass
does not run away, and the horse doesn't display predator hunting behavior.
I do discourage her from grazing when we're away from home because I'm not
sure whether the grass has been treated with pesticides or other chemicals.
Panda does get to graze at home, of course. But she has never bolted away
from me to chase a cat or a squirrel or a dog or another horse, for that
matter. She has never pulled me off my feet to go after a dog in a passing
car, or toppled my chair over backwards to attack a cat silently sneaking
past, as one of my guide dogs has done. Loose dogs do sometimes come running
and barking towards her, probably thinking that she is another dog. But they
usually make a wide circle around her and back off when they get close
enough to see or smell that she is not a dog invading their territory. So I
may have less trouble with other dogs in the environment than most guide dog
users have. If a dog does try to jump on Panda or sniff her too impolitely,
she will press against my leg for protection and to push me away from the
offending dog, and will use her hoofs as a last resort to protect herself
and me. But she doesn't seem to trigger aggressive behavior in most dogs.

Panda rides standing up in most vehicles, as horses do in horse trailers.
This is the position in which their balance is best. In my family minivan,
she stands sideways between the front and middle row of seats, and we have a
barrier which would hopefully confine her in that position in case of a
sudden stop. In buses, she stands beside me if I'm sitting in the side bench
seats that face the wide aisle, or she stands sideways between the rows of
seats if I'm sitting in the forward-facing seats. If I'm in a restaurant or
meeting, I try to place her beside or behind my chair away from the table
edge. She usually takes a nap standing up or lays down and curls up for a
nap. Guide horses can be taught to lie down on command, but this is more to
comply with the preferences or demands of officials, rather than because it
is what is best for the mini-horse.

You're right that there are trade-offs when using a mini-horse guide rather
than a guide dog. There are places where I don't take my miniature horse,
either because I don't want to deal with the excitement she attracts or
because of the close quarters or because I will be highly focused on
something and will find it distracting to need to take care of her needs.
There are certainly times when I think I would love to have a little guide
dog that I could just stow under my chair or under the bus seat. But then I
remember how heartbreaking it was to lose my beloved Labrador guide after
such a short decade of our life together, and how much more discouraging it
was to have to end my partnership with guide dogs that were retired early
due to insurmountable behavioral or temperament issues. And when I'm
cruising down the street with my amazing little horse and I'm feeling her
confidence and joy through the harness handle, I can't imagine giving up
that feeling or that relationship. So I'm sticking with my Panda, at least
for the foreseeable future.

Again, thanks for your thoughtful response.

Ann