[nagdu] exporing

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 23:57:26 UTC 2015

I do this all the time. I'm not super familiar with this area. So I
get dropped off at a place I know and just start walking. I keep track
of what certain streets sound like, what direction I'm walking, how
many streets I've crossed, and maybe where I made a jog to the right
or a 90-degree turn. But it's easy for me to do this because I'm super
visual, so I do a lot of mental mapping.
If a cane makes you feel more aware of your surroundings, use it along
with your dog. I don't do it, but do what works best for you.
Don't be afraid to stop people and or call out to them and ask "what
street is this?" or duck your head in somewhere and ask "What is this
place, and what's nearby?"
Also, get used to getting lost. It happens to everyone whether you're
sighted or blind. It's practically unavoidable. Yes, it can get
frustrating. But it's also nice to explore and see what's around.
Use a GPS to learn street names and points of interests. This is
especially nice for those who are not a big fan of interacting with
randoms, or aren't comfortable asking other people what's nearby.
I have a GPS, but don't rely on it much. I like getting lost and
figuring out how to get unlost. And I don't mind stopping people or
shouting to someone doing landscaping or sitting on their front porch.
It's like a puzzle or a game. If you're tryin' to get somewhere fast,
different story. But I usually allow time for getting lost if I'm
going a new place by myself.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs