[nagdu] the public and dog breeds

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Mon Jun 22 11:38:44 UTC 2015

I'm currently working with my third German Shepherd, a 29-inch, 95 pound
male, and have always had to field questions from interested members of the
public.

In fact, my wife claims she can't leave me alone for five minutes without
someone sitting down and striking up a conversation with me.

We've had conversations about all kinds of things, dogs, training dogs,
working with dogs, raising kids while working with dogs, blindness, raising
kids as a blind parent, etc.  We've even had conversations about the other
people's health problems (sometimes, I think others just think blind people
don't have anything to do, so we afford them an opportunity to perform a
good deed by sitting and chatting with us, even if they end up talking about
themselves).

Conversely, I've had people scream like a five-year-old as I've exited buses
and buildings with my Guides, because they didn't catch sight of my dog
until it was right in front of them.  Or, they'd cross the street in order
to get out of our way.

I don't think it depends so much on the breed as it does on what experiences
people have had with the breed we're working, or their unique psychological
makeup.

Regards,
Dudley, with Michener