[nagdu] using a tie down

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jun 22 12:19:14 UTC 2015

Raven,

I do call her to me and reward her for the recall.  Sometimes that works and
sometimes she'll go back to barking.  I will go to her, by the window, and
reward for quiet.  Interestingly when I am right beside her, she can look
out the window without barking.  However I can't sit on the couch all day
and I don't want her to be in her crate all day either. I'll also put her in
her crate for a short bit so she can calm down and regain her composure.
The thing about the crate is though, that it's in the other room so she is
then removed from everyone and everything going on.  Usually that's fine,
but I need her to learn to remain calm despite people walking by, the
neighbor doing home repairs or whatever is going on out there.

Jetta has a very intense personality.  She tends to get focused in on
something to the exclusion of all else.  It's amazing when she's guiding
because she is incredible.   When she's harassing Monty or staring out the
window at the neighbors, it's not so great.

Putting a shade over the window is on the "to do" list, but it requires
installation of hardware and more mechanical ability than I possess.  So I
am being patient and waiting for the husband to get to it.  I did put up
some different curtains that have helped.  Still those are just temporary
management strategies that don't address the need for her to learn some
higher level self regulation skills.

Maybe what I'm doing is going to work and I just need to give it more time.
I don't know.  The barking is very obnoxious though and is wearing on my
nerves.   Of course that doesn't help a whole lot, so thus why I'm
considering tie down for her.  I'm thinking it is a sort of compromise
between her freedom and my nerves.

I've been a crate user though, so tie down is new for me and I'm trying to
work out in my head how it might be used, what might work and what I'm just
wishing would work. *smile*  It helps me a lot to talk through a training
situation.  I have a lot of knowledge, but sometimes being in the midst of
the situation clouds your perspective.  Getting feedback from others is a
lifesaver for returning me to logic.

Thanks for the ideas!  I think I am going to try the tie down with her.  I
do think it will help, but if it doesn't then no great loss.  We'll try
something else.

Julie