[nagdu] the public and dog breeds

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jun 22 13:12:33 UTC 2015

For me it seems to have more to do with the dog's behavior.  Jetta, my
Doberman social butterfly, gets more requests from people to pet her, than
my lab/Boxer mix.   Monty could care less about visiting with people.  Jetta
loves all the people and would lick, climb in their lap and probably go home
with them, if I didn't closely monitor her.  Apparently she didn't get the
memo about Dobermans being one person dogs who are suspicious of strangers.

I do not have issues with people interacting or petting without asking.
People also are not all gooey with either of my dogs, no cooing, baby talk
or getting down in their face.  Usually the petting is fairly sedate and the
comments are about the appearance or work ethic of the dog.

In the beginning no one asked to pet Jetta, the Doberman, but as time goes
on we seem to have found all the Doberman people.  The folks who ask to pet
Jetta are overwhelmingly likely to be Doberman owners themselves.  I think
they are just happy to see the breed out working and promoting the positive
image of the breed.

My husband tells me that there are people who do a double take when they see
Jetta and some do move quickly in a different direction.  If he  didn't tell
me though, I wouldn't know.  There is no screaming, wailing or mayhem to be
noticed.   I've had the same happen with Monty though.  People waiting for
the next elevator or crossing to the far side of the hallway and that sort
of thing.

I think it's a combination of factor's, the dog's physical appearance, the
dog's demeanor and the handlers perceived approachableness.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC