[nagdu] More loose dogs!

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:42:36 UTC 2015

Daryl

Oh yes, I feel the frustration! It seems like this year, everyone
forgot how to clip a leash to a collar. I think I encountered maybe
two loose dogs throughout my entire life, but in the past couple
months, there have been at least 10-15. I think my dog feels a
combination of excitement and anxiety when he sees another dog off
leash. He reacts completely differently to a dog on and off a leash,
even if it is the same dog. DOgs on leashes are not a big deal. He
might be slightly distracted, but it's not too difficult to refocus
him. Off leash dogs however can cause him to bark, growl, or lunge in
their direction if he thinks they are aggressive. I've had everything
from owners coming over to get their dogs immediately to people not
even acknowledging the fact that their dog was in the street, growling
and showing its teeth at us. It's so frustrating when people don't
feel the need to react. It is also very common for dogs to be outside
on long leashes or behind "invisible" fences, and how is my dog going
to tell the difference? Every time I make progress with my dog,
getting him to start feeling comfortable around what he perceives to
be an off leash dog, it seems to happen again.

Danielle, Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)