[nagdu] the public and dog breeds

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jun 25 19:39:18 UTC 2015

Valerie,

I keep having to explain to my family how important it is to manage
their hands around my dogs' faces, especially Loki's, because he's going
to have so many people sticking their hands in his face when he's
working and will have to put up with it without a peep. He cannot be
face shy! Or even a normal dog, for that matter. I've been wondering if
Loki will have less of the hands on public interference because of his
size, but it people will stick their hands in Zion's face... Good grief!
People tend to think of poodles as fancy fashion accessories or silly
show creatures or some such, not as real dogs, and they're always trying
to put their hands in the topknot, which means reaching out for the top
of the dog's heads with their palm down and fingers spread out... Who
doesn't know that is the absolutely *wrong* way to reach out to a dog? I
get so aggravated, but I don't want to pass my feelings on to my dog,
so... Grrrr! I'm starting to do some light conditioning to get him used
to having people reach out to him like that by doing it myself then
rewarding him and sort of making a game of it. That won't make him
completely comfortable having strangers do it, but it might lessen the
stress it causes him some and teach him to tolerate it. Mitzi actually
got to enjoy my putting my hand on her topknot from the front like that
and massaging her head and making silly noises.

What's interesting is that people who actually know poodles are more
cautious and will observe before they reach out when I'm on leisure
walks. They also read the working "back off" look correctly, which most
people take for a come hither. Poor Mitzi had to develop different
techniques to spare herself excessive petting, maneuvering us at an
angle so I'm between her and would-be petters so I can run interference.
She learned to handle the attention without getting totally stressed
out, but she had to be pretty brave to learn to deal without getting
sick at her stomach. I used to try polite ways of convincing people that
just because she's a service dog and won't bite (theoretically), she
doesn't need their hands in her face, but now I just make sure to
convince them that I bite. /lol/

People around here are pretty good about having sense around service
dogs, so we don't get as much random interference as we did in the city.
What's funny is that people see my cane, which I'm using for mobility
while I train Loki, and know from that that he is a service dog and
should not be interfered with. With Mitzi, in harness, they don't
realize right off that she's a guide dog or they assume I'm training
her. That cracks me up. A few months ago, people weren't making that
assumption, so maybe Loki looks more like a dog than a puppy or is
beginning to show something that makes him look more like a working dog?
It's nice because the good manners of people who notice and admire him
but proudly say they know he's a working dog so they won't pet him are
helping him learn to curb his friendliness. He's even developing some
reserve. Whew!

I've been thinking of your guy and hoping the best for his surgery and
recovery.

Tami