[nagdu] Carrying

Danielle Cyclorama dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:25:34 UTC 2015

I have noticed something similar in my cross. He won't pick up anything else as long as there is something already in his mouth. I have used this to my advantage several times. For example, I will give him a toy to play with when ever I let him off his leash to swim so he doesn't pick up anything off the ground. He usually likes to pick up and carry things when he is excited so I never really thought about giving him something to carry while he is working. I have been able to significantly reduce his scavenging for food and paper on the floor by using the Halti, but giving him something to carry might be helpful in places such as restaurants where there is food right at nose level. Corrections never worked with my dog because he would rather get a correction and the food then avoid a correction but miss the opportunity to eat something. Carrying something is an idea I have never thought of but it seems like an interesting option to explore. I'm not sure what I would give my dog to eat, but it would definitely be something other than food or paper. Sometimes I think he prefers paper to actual food.

Just some speculating,
Danielle, Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 30, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Tracy Carcione via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> I think he might find a ball distracting.  He likes to juggle his toys.
> Now, if he was all golden, a ball might be just the thing.
> Tracy
>
>> What about a tennis ball? Without my knowledge, my golden has carried one
>> while working several times and it has not negatively impacted his work.
>> He’s not a huge scavenger so I’m not sure if it helped him resist the
>> urge or not.
>>> On Jun 30, 2015, at 10:39 AM, Tracy Carcione via nagdu
>>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday, Krokus picked up a wad of napkin somewhere and carried it
>>> until
>>> I noticed and took it away from him.  But he didn't try to grab anything
>>> else while he had the paper.
>>> I knew a golden who liked to carry his leash in his mouth.  His person
>>> couldn't correct him, but it wasn't necessary.  His world was complete,
>>> and he didn't get distracted or try to scavenge while carrying his
>>> leash.
>>> I'm wondering if Krokus is golden enough to be equally satisfied
>>> carrying
>>> something.  I think he'd chew his leash, though.  I'm debating giving