[nagdu] Fw: Proposed Act Regarding Service Dogs from the stateof Maine.

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 23:38:10 UTC 2015

Hi Brian, I'm glad if we are able to help you understand where we
are coming from, and if it helps in any way in you answering some
of the questions that come your way.

My thoughts are not agreed with by most on this list, but I'll
tell you what I think.  I do have an ID card, and I would have no
problem showing it.  I'm proud of the work that Neena and I do
together, and I'm very happy with the school I have received my
dogs from, which is The Seeing EYE in New JERSEY.  But there are
lots of valid reasons that people don't agree with me.  First of
all, for those who train their own dogs, where would they get
such an identification card? Yes, I know they can be bought on
Ebay.  But my point is this.  People who drive cars (no matter
where they learned from) still have to get a license to drive.
So make it a national license.  Make it so that even
school-trained dog handlers would take an oral exam, or something
about laws regarding service dogs, and maybe some training
questions that the schools would ask.  For those who owner train
have the same sort of oral exam, or written or whatever.  I still
haven't figured everything out in my head about this, but I'm
working on it, and this is my beginning point.  So don't
everybody tell me what a terrible idea it is.  I'm at least
trying to come up with something besides, "We don't need no
stinkin card, or whatever.  Because I do foresee a time when
something will be required, and as I said earlier, we have to be
thinking about what will work and won't work.  Of course we
should do more education of the public, etc.  But honestly, I've
had dogs since 1981 and I don't think, in many ways, that it has
gotten any better.    Peace,    Debby with Neena