[nagdu] my dog growls at other dogs.

S L Johnson sljohnson25 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 5 02:51:21 UTC 2015

Hello:

It is good that your dog will remain under good control even though she's growling.  You are doing the best you can to explain to the other handler why your dog is growling.  However, keep in mind how afraid and stressed the other handler is thinking their dog is at risk of being attacked.  When we're afraid, we can often react by saying harsh words about your dog and the school.  I have experienced both sides of this kind of situation.  As a result of being attacked, I've had two of my guide dogs develop a problem of growling or barking if another dog got too close to them.  In 1985  Heidi, a tiny little shepherd was frequently attacked by a large shepherd guide dog at an agency for the blind.  After that she would growl and back away and hide behind me when other dogs got too close to her.  The trainers and I worked very hard trying to build up her confidence around other dogs but, it really didn't help.  Although she was acting out of fear not aggression, the school and I finally felt it was best to retire her.  It was unfortunate because Heidi was only five years old and her work was amazing and in all other ways she was the perfect dog.  The school felt it looked bad for them and all guide dog teams.  In 2005 my little golden, Cinnamon was attacked by a very large dark colored dog at the bus stop.  After that she would bark if she saw large dark colored dog coming near her.  I didn't have to retire her but, I always had to be very alert if we were around other dogs.  With Tara, after she was attacked she didn't bark or growl but, she was always nervous and very stressed out around dogs she didn't know.  I know each handler has to make the decision that they feel is right but, any kind of behavior from one guide dog does make a negative impression for all guide dog teams.

Sandra and Eva