[nagdu] Bad Dogs And The Law

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:55:06 UTC 2015

Hi Steve, I have seen police intervene.  When I belonged to ACB,
I was at a convention in Jacksonville, Florida.  The Guide Dog
User affiliate had a "breakfast club".  The idea was that it
would give folks who wanted to get out of the hotel and walk with
their dqs, a place to go, and also a time of socialization for us
all, too.  They had picked out a nice café.  When we got there, a
man said very loudly, "Those dogs will have to be outside while
you all eat." We were all shocked.  Some heated words went back
and forth.  Then the GDUI President at the time, Sheila Styron
called the cops.  They came, and after consulting the law (which
they were carrying with them, by the way) they told the
restaurant owner that he had to allow us in.  My husband wouldn't
go in because he said he was afraid they'd spit in our food and
stuff.  He was afraid to eat there after all the kerfuffle.  I
guess everything turned out okay, and the owner (who also
happened to be blind) agreed that we were a pretty decent bunch
and that our dogs were okay, too.  Maybe the cops thought it
better to deal with it with thirty of us standing outside this
rightestaurant, I don't know.     Peace,    Debby with Neena