[nagdu] Public places demanding my guide dog is not a service dog without a vest

Bridget Walker bridgetawalker13 at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 23:11:17 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I have had an interesting month or so. I'm not sure what is going on in the area I attend school but, more and more people have the expectation to see any type of service dog in a vest and if they are not they do not think the dog is real. At first I thought it was just on my college campus because we have another person with a medical alert dog. I just thought people saw that dog and got confused and I just explained why a guide dog has a harness.
Last night I went to a local mall. On the way there I took a taxi. The driver at first thought he was going to get away with not providing me with a ride. I had to show the back of my GEB ID where it says guide dogs are protected by federal law.
When I got to the mall it was like an interrogation everywhere I went. Some workers walked up and just asked if Paulson was a service dog. I gave a confer nation and we went on our way. Other places specifically IHOP being one and mall security being another wanted to know why I had Paulson.
I'm really wondering the ADA states you ask the two questions of is this a service dog and what tasks does it do only when it is not clear what the dog does not the disability is.
How can I stop these people from questioning me?
Some stores said my dog needed a vest that he was not properly marked. J explained guide dogs have a harness that is the equipment they use.
I want to be able to go places in my community without playing this game.
Bridget

Sent from my iPhone