[nagdu] Public places demanding my guide dog is not a service dogwithout a vest

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 00:18:40 UTC 2015

Bridget,
Two suggestions. First, for the mall; they all have a central office,
someone who manages the mall. Ask to speak to the manager and ask them to
send out a reminder that guide dogs are protected by federal law and where
harnesses. In fact, I don't think any of the service dogs have to have vests
under the ADA. I have a PDF that DOJ prepared for businesses that even says
that not all service dogs are required to wear leashes, just that they must
be under voice command.

The second thing would be to write a letter to the editor of your local
papers explaining that you have had numerous problems at local businesses
and reminding them of the law and your desire to go about your business
without being hassled. Make sure you find out what their maximum word count
is before sending.

Also, you are right that the questions are for when it isn't obvious and
guide dog harnesses were always thought to be obvious. Maybe people are just
getting more oblivious to their surroundings.
HTH,
Donna