[nagdu] Administering topical medication

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Tue Mar 10 13:52:30 UTC 2015

Hi Sherri,
When I first received my guide dog, he had allergies and his eyes were very red. I gave him eye drops in class. As far as ointments, I have not given him any of those. Although, I do have to do many eye drops and ointments in my own eyes several times per day. The ointment is definitely the hardest, since I can't feel it go into my eye, until there is too much on there. Will it hurt if you give her a bit too much ointment? If not, then I am sure you can do it yourself. Many ointments can be very thick when you first start to apply them, but I find that rubbing the tube in my hands for a few seconds or so will soften the ointment so that it will come out more smoothly. Hope this helps, I'm sure it can be done. Good luck!
Deanna and Pascal (who retires in 10 days)