[nagdu] Administering topical medication

S L Johnson sljohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 17:00:11 UTC 2015

Hello Sherri:

I have had to give my dogs drops or ointment a few times.  I am also totally
blind.  Have Bailey sit facing you with her chin resting in your lap.  With
one hand locate the lower eye lid and put your finger on the spot that needs
treated.  Take the tube of ointment with the cap off into your other hand.
Gently touch the end of the tube to the spot you've located.  Squeeze a bit
of the ointment onto the spot.  One vet suggested that I wash my hands with
anti-bacterial soap, then  put a bit of the ointment on the tip of my
finger, then rub the ointment on the eye and lid.  You might want to
practice this with your sighted help so they can tell you if you got the
medication where it needs to be.  In my case, I didn't have sighted help so,
I just had that first time with the vet.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Sandra and Eva