[nagdu] Guide Dog School

S L Johnson sljohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 20:59:13 UTC 2015

Hello:

I prefer ownership too.  However, I can understand why some schools are
concerned about the dog's health and weight.  I've seen some extremely
overweight guide dogs, some as much as ten to twenty pounds too heavy.  This
can cause all kinds of health problems.  It also looks horrible to the
public.

I have to object to your statement about Pilot Dogs.  You said you don't
like where they get their dogs.  They have their own breeding program for
most of the breeds they use, otherwise they obtain dogs from breeders.  For
example, they do not breed their golden retrievers but get them from
reliable breeders.  My dog is a perfect temperament and very intelligent.
She is very well behaved and very   well trained.

Oh, by the way, be careful with Guide Dog Foundation.  They put my last dog
Tara out even though they knew she had hip dysplasia.  Tara also developed
cataracts, that resulted from hereditary cysts in her eyes.   She was only
six years old.  So, if you want to question the quality of dogs, think of
getting a dog with health issues.

I think the important thing we can learn from this discussion is that we
have a lot of work to do in order to get the guide dog schools to do a
better job of breeding, raising and  training.  They should be willing to
respect us and to welcome our input as to what we want from the school and
the dogs we receive.  Even those schools that have graduate councils only
select grads for the council who will agree with everything the director and
board wants.  We need grad councils who will speak up and disagree when they
don't like what is happening.

One final point.  Whether you are getting your first dog or a successor dog,
it is important to be a good consumer.  Fortunately with the internet, it is
very easy to check out the web sites for all the schools.  Discussion lists
like this one are also an excellent source of information.  I know many
people are loyal to their schools but, times change so, that school might
not be your best choice.  Last year when I knew it was time for Tara to
retire, I applied to several schools.

Sandra and Eva