[nagdu] Guide Dog School

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:58:41 UTC 2015

I do think that there is a slight disconnect between what some
vets think and what the schools think is a good weight.  We were
shone how you need to be able to feel their ribs, and if they
have a waistline to be able to feel that.  Some people thought
that Neena was too skinny when I brought her home, but according
to the vet at school, she was fine.  Of course, she's filling out
now, losing a lot of that puppy look.  But still she is pretty
skinny.  (I don't think she's too skinny).  But there definitely
is a difference in what some vets say is a just fine weight and
what the schools think is a just fine weight.  I'm not sure how
you resolve that, if you are required to give yearly vet checks,
and the vet says the dog's weight is okay but the school says
it's not.  You know, it's kind of like human doctors can't even
always agree on what a good weight for a person is.  One doctor I
had said I should way around 130 pounds, because as I get older
my bones will need a little more padding to protect them from
falls.  Another doctor told me I should be 120 pounds.  So there
you go, two doctors, and a 10 pound difference in what they think
would be the right weight for me.     Peace,    Debby with Neena