[nagdu] Behaviour question

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 14 13:46:45 UTC 2015

Hello everyone!

I'm coming to you with a question once again. Just to give you the basic
info:
I have a 3-year-old lab named Taylor. I got him in September 2014. We work
alot on different things and it's amazing to see his or our progress.
My question is not about his guidework but about his behaviour when people
come to visit or when we stop and talk to people outside.
He wants to jump up on people (is that the right term? Sorry, if not. I
think you know what I mean) and just gets too wild and excited when I start
to talk to people, also strangers. When people come into our apartment and
don't ignore him completely, he jumps up on them several times, starts to
run in circles around them and gets all excited. Depending on how the person
reacts, it stops soon or gets worse and worse. Of course I try to forbid him
to jump everytime. I also try to let him sit after a short greeting. But I
just feel I haven't found the best solution to control him in such a
situation yet. Especially here in the apartment, I of course don't have him
on a leash and therefore have to think of other things to do to stop him
from getting too excited.

Do you have any strategies or exercises for me that could help me fix this
issue?
It's just very unpleasant, this surprised reaction from people who are often
like "He is a trained service dog. Why is he behaving like this?"

best wishes from Germany
Lisa