[nagdu] Question about poodle guides

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Mar 14 19:17:33 UTC 2015

Hi, Kerri.

I'm a poodle guide user, so I can tell you that poodles are. What they
are remains a mystery to me, which is sometimes troubling, since I'm in
the process of training my second one as my first is retiring. They're
quite wonderful but complicated. This makes them very easy to manage and
fiddling difficult to manage at the same time. I always have a hard time
describing mine and what I've heard of others in basic guide dog user
language.

Take distractability. They have a reputation for being highly
distractable, and in some quarters poodle guide users have a reputation
for being dangerously cavalier about their guide's total lack of focus
or discipline or... That's because the poodle has a weird way of
appearing to have its mind on everything but the job, while deftly
maneuvering its handler around obstacles so that the handler never knows
she's not skipping along the garden path... It can be startling to take
the cane along a familiar smooth and easy route only to discover that
one has a broken cane and bumped head and dented shins because it's a
total minefield. I have to confess that I am one of those people who
enjoys knowing what all is going on around me as I walk, so feeling my
poodle's body language and head movement as she looks at absolutely
everything makes going around with her a lot of fun. She's also saved my
life dramatically at least 4 times that I know of because of her
tendency to keep track of everything and respond predictively, including
a car driving up onto the sidewalk where we were standing. I for sure
would not have reacted in time on my own for that one. When I heard the
engine noise change as the car prepared to move, I assumed it was making
a right turn on the street where it belonged and filtered it out of my
other traffic listening. Then I was elsewhere, preparing to lay into my
horrible awful dog for yanking me around like that when I felt heat
against the backs of my legs and realized the front of the car was an
inch or two away. The rear of the car missed me by less than that. Mitzi
had positioned me perfectly, body blocked me from falling down an
embankment until I got my balance, then pulled me away by the leash,
since I had dropped the harness handle and stuck her nose in the bushes
she had been wanting to sniff there for the longest time. I'll always
wonder if that was part of her plan, knowing how I would move towards
her in response, which spared me being brushed by the car, or if she was
just taking advantage of the opportunity. See what I mean about poodles?
/smile/

The poodle gait is smooth and easy, especially compared to labs, so say
those who have experience with both breeds. Poodles tend to be more
likely to cut obstacle avoidance close, though their predictive guiding
style makes it smooth enough the handler may not notice anything is
there or that an obstacle has been avoided.

Poodles can be vocal, especially when startled. They also have a
tendency towards separation anxiety, which they will tell the world
about, so that can be difficult to deal with for apartment dwellers.
They reach full psychosocial maturity later than the more traditional
breeds, so that's something to consider. Some of the more extreme traits
that get poodles labelled as difficult or worse do settle out eventually
for the most part, but much patience and finesse is required to get to
that point. They can be super easy to work with while being absolutely
impossible at the same time, although figuring out what motivates the
poodle and working from that angle makes things easier. Leash
corrections and similar types of negative reinforcement has a bad result
with poodles, so you do have to learn to keep the dog on the straight
and narrow by other means, especially early on. This requires
out-thinking the poodle, especially if it has its stubborn on, so that
can be frustrating. The best approach does seem to be to remain calm and
even cheerful while using subtle reminders and low voice commands, which
can cause people who can't see what you're doing to believe you're doing
nothing. JQ Public, I have discovered, will actually not notice anything
is going on or will see a good, good dog who is just so wonderful to
manage, so I found it easier to keep my equilibrium and deal more
effectively with Mitzi's youthful antics once I figured that out.

Poodles can be vocal, apparently as part of their high-alert nature. So
again, the key to dealing effectively is to remain calm and low-key, as
I found out the hard way. Sigh. At least now I know of useful techniques
to use with Loki, who at 10.5 months is learning to keep his mouth shut
about many things. I think. /smile/ Now that I know a thing or two
hundred I didn't with Mitzi, I'm happy to be working on it with him now
as we prepare for eventual indoor public access training. He's quite a
talker, so I'm also teaching him silent ways of letting me know what he
thinks I need to know about, which I think will help.

Another thing to consider is that poodles get noticed. I can't go
anywhere without hearing the word "poodle" floating about or being
yelled by kids playing basketball, as happened just yesterday. Poodle!
There's a poodle! It's a poodle! /lol/ They tend to be seen as expensive
fashion-accessories, so it doesn't occur to folks to respect the poodle
as a dog. It was really difficult for Mitzi at first, since she is
fairly reserved and didn't want to be petted by every single human in
the greater Metro area. We managed to find a way to deal between the two
of us, but I do wish people wouldn't rush to stick their hands in the
curls so much and I especially wish they weren't so likely to get down
in her face. She's learned to deal graciously and then to sort of fade
behind my leg so I can run interference, but still! I've spent years
telling myself next time I was getting something that looked a lot more
dangerous. So I have another poodle... He's going to be a much larger
dog, so I'm curious to find out if that affects the number of people who
mug him. He's super friendly, so I think attention will be less
stressful for him.

Poodles watch the face of their human, so I have learned to walk around
with a big fat smile plastered in place. Things go much more smoothly
than if I forget and walk around pondering the meaning of it all with a
furrow in my brow. As Mitzi got older, she was less affected, but in her
younger days, she would slow down due to depression if I wasn't cheery
enough. Now it's just habit to look down and smile periodically even if
I'm worrying about the end of life as we know it, so it's all good. /smile/

Obviously, I like my poodle guide enough to be working on a second one.
Sometimes it might be nice to have something a little more settled
without the nonsense factor and excessive energy to deal with. The
intelligence is awesome, but being reminded 17 times a day that my dog
is so much smarter than I am isn't healthy for the ego. I like not
having to micromanage as we go along, just sort of giving executive
approval to Mitzi's good decisions, but if I do need to step in and be
the boss... Well, I've learned never to go head to head with her in a
battle of will and wits, but there have been days when having to
outthink my dog and failing was a bit much. She grew out of most of
that, and I guess I learned winning strategies to keep us in balance. I
like her fast, zippy guiding style, though I have been assured that it
would make a lot of people crazy. /lol/ Loki will be easier, I think,
once we get through his adolescence.

Sorry for the novel. Hope I managed to fit in some information you find
useful. Maybe someday I will find a more terse way to describe the
complicated curly ones. /smile/

Tami